Author Topic: Ready Player One  (Read 421 times)

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
Ready Player One
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »

The Book holds a special place in my heart its one big love letter to pop culture and all the good shit I like i've read it at least 2 dozen times now and never tire of it but this trailer has lowered my expectations quite significantly it does nothing to explain what the movie is about, instead it shows lots of cool special effects and a few scenes I recognized from the book but totally misses the mark

For those that have not read the books its Willy Wonka meets The Matrix the basic storyline is this: In the not too distant future human kind has depleted its natural resource's all the world's super countries are no more and big business is in full control of almost everything, as a result humanity has retreated into the most advanced VR system ever created to live out their lives and escape their depressing/no hope realities of it all, This VR system is called The O.A.S.IS created by one James Donovan Halliday upon his death he releases a video statement to the world FIND MY EASTER EGGS HIDDEN WITHIN THE OASIS COMPLETE THE CHALLENGES AND WIN THE PRIZE HIS VAST FORTUNE AND THE CONTROLLING STAKE IN HIS COMPANY AND THE VERY OASIS ITSELF.  Thus begins the quest of one Wade Watts and his rag tag friends to fight off a evil corporation hell bent on controlling The OASIS ruining it forever!

Also READ THE BOOK!!! it comes highly recommended by yours truely :)

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
Re: Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
looks good, i may get the audio book if i have some spare credits.
Sincerely,

Sir Logan Johnson, Esq. XIII.

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 04:53:20 AM »
I've read it at least 8 times so far lol i've heard Wil Wheaton narrates the audio book does a really good job of it to

If you end up liking Ready Player One check out Armada also written by Ernest Cline its similar to The Last Starfighter movie but throws a major curve ball at ya I really like that hehe i've heard that Armada will be made into a movie at some point as well

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:42:44 AM »

This is a much better trailer they really should have lead with this one, also i've heard the script has been leaked online............

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
I would imagine its not too far off the book... so no real spoilers there.
Sincerely,

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 02:06:48 AM »
I would imagine its not too far off the book... so no real spoilers there.

It's still vastly different from the book Steven Spielberg made it his personal mission to remove all references to his work in the movie and I doubt they got all the licenses to mention or feature all the vast 80's pop culture that's showcased in the book, eagle eyed viewers of the trailer did see gundams who know's if they got the others......

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Very well, ill take your word for it. Either way its going to be a nostalgia trip.
Sincerely,

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 05:45:58 AM »
I went and saw this on the Easter long weekend Visually its amazing movie, storyline wise I felt it was a bit rushed there's only so much they can cram into a movie compared to a book.  I treated this as a separate entity and found myself enjoying the movie soo much more than if I had been closed minded and screaming that didn't happen in the books every 5 seconds like a certain facebook ready player one readers group i'm apart of...

Just like the first chapter of the book states "Nobody got my story right not the movies, the t-show or the tabloids so I write this book to set the record straight" hehe it also helps that the Author Ernest Cline also wrote the script for the movie so I can't help but think he did this intentionally lol

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »
Glad you liked it. Ill try and convince my woman to see it, or Pacific Rim 2.
Sincerely,

anything