Author Topic: Quest for the perfect Gamepad  (Read 23 times)

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
Quest for the perfect Gamepad
« on: September 30, 2018, 12:15:57 AM »
Ever Since the X-box 360 came out Microsoft's gamepad has been the pad of choice for me sony's gamepad is too small and I hate the placement of the twinsticks I find myself constantly tapping the right hand stick by mistake which annoys me to no end as I have big hands but one thing that bothers me about Microsoft's offering is the build quality their pads never seem to last compared to Sony and Nintendo so i've gone through my fair share of pads over the years

The Original 360 pad the D pad and the analog sticks became stiff and difficult to use so I switched to Razer pads i'm sure I went through at least 5 pads and each and everyone of them crapped out either the triggers failed or the pad in general failed after paying a premium for the last few I decided never again! the build quality is garbage ironically their mice and keyboards are still pretty good gamepads are a nope from me.

Enter The X-box One pad I bought a wired one from the official Microsoft store online and at first it was great! I used it almost exclusively for The Witcher 3 I was happily gaming away for 3 months + when one of the analog sticks developed a problem I googled it, its called drifting and poor Geralt was prone to walking off cliffs and just walking in one direction in general without me touching the controls even with me using the controls it would fight me and poor Geralt would die this did not sit well with me

Which brings me to my latest Gamepad which I bought 4 years ago on Play Asia yes you read the right 4 years ago! the Hori X-box One pad considering Hori are famous for making Arcade sticks I decided to give it a go and the price wasn't bad either i've used it quite happily for the past 4 years with no issues with the d pad, analog sticks, buttons or triggers I simply don't think about it anymore but all good things must to come to an end the left Stick has cracked after countless hours of use I intend of buying replacement sticks and installing them but every review of replacement parts i've read has been a mixed bag either you get a good batch or you don't. 

I went back to play asia to see if I could buy another one but they've marked up the price quite considerably and i've since found out that Hori no longer makes them anymore hence the mark up and there are soo few left in the wild so in the mean time i've bought a pdp branded 3rd party pad sooo I can keep on hunting in Monster Hunter while I continue to search for viable replacement parts for my Hori pad.  I'll post up what the pdp pad is like in a few weeks time of use

Has anyone tried SCUF pads?? you can custom build your own pad and drop in and replace parts as needed https://scufgaming.com/int/  they are currently have a shortage of parts so aren't taking orders right now but the idea of being able to buy replacement parts for your favorite pad is appealing

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
Re: Quest for the perfect Gamepad
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »
Sincerely,

Sir Logan Johnson, Esq. XIII.

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:48:06 AM »
Why yes good sir that is the upgraded version where they added a 3.5mm audio jack so people could plug in their headsets and 4 extra programmable buttons, I actually did not know the Pro version existed until recently shame they didn't continue making them might just have to pick up a few awesome!!!!!!!!!!

The pdp branded controller showed up yesterday at first it wouldn't work even after windows 10 installed drivers for it a quick visit to the pdp website d/l fixed this and I was away so far it feels pretty good in hand buttons are pretty responsive and its kinda weird to have RB and LB buttons that click again!!

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »
I wonder if Shop4 has a New Zealand equivalent? i know they have a UK site, you should ask them... it looks like they have good prices and a rewards program. i already ordered close to $300 worth of stuff with little to no problems!
Sincerely,

Sir Logan Johnson, Esq. XIII.