Author Topic: Marvel Powers United  (Read 29 times)

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
Marvel Powers United
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »
I have been sitting on this one for a while, and just never gotten around to writing a review of it until now.

Marvel Powers United marks the first Marvel game to feature the X-MEN and several of the Fox "owned" characters, it was released exclusively for the Oculus Rift a few months after the announcement of Disney's purchase of 21st Century Fox, and to put it simply, the game is adequate, it offers a good VR experience, and captures the spirit of each character as they may be in real life, it's cool to be able to look down and see your chosen character's costume and arms "replacing" your own and then being able to use their powers or weapons.

The game is heavily inspired by the Marvel Cinematic Universe due to the inclusion of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, naturally Thanos somehow convinces a handful of villains from the various franchises to team up with him and destroy Earth and the heroes... or at least that's what I gleamed off of it.

The game consists of you choosing your favorite hero, or the most powerful one (in your opinion), and take on a mission either solo or with up to 4 other players. I will say if, and that is a very big if, you can get 4 players to join you, you will have a blast, as you will all watch each other's backs and fend off enemies more effectively. However the problem is that it seems not very many people bought the game and the community is small and sporadic and you will be lucky to find more than one other player if you are lucky. But fear not, if you go solo, the game will fill in the rest of the team with 3 random heroes to help deal with threats.

The missions all consist of 3 stages:

1) Fight off enemy mooks until the communications tower is fully powered up.

2) Fight an enemy boss or two, these range from mostly movie universe, such as Loki, Ultron, and Ronan the Accuser, to name a few, but they have added in Magneto and Venom to round out the villain roster.

At the start of the game you take on the role of Captain America in the tutorial level, you learn the basics of controlling your hero, in the case of Cap you can punch stuff, use your shield to perform special attacks and, of course,  throw your shield that is capable of bouncing off numerous enemies before returning to your hand for another toss.

Once you get through the training you get teleported to the Avenger's " Alpha Flight" satellite base, and can explore the sparsely populated rooms, there you can see Lockjaw, who, will teleport you to mission locations. You can visit the locker room to open up any loot crates your characters have earned during the mission, these are usually alternate costumes, taunts and victory poses.

Once you chose your character, you can then go to Lockjaw and select a level and be whisked away to the location, to fight wave after wave of generic mooks usually native to the location you are fighting in, but most of the time its either Kree warriors, Ultron drones, and A.I.M. goons. Lockjaw will then teleport in a communications antennae that you have to defend for about 5 minutes before an enemy boss like Dormammu or Madam Hydra.

Once you beat the boss or mini-boss, Lockjaw will teleport in a S.H.I.E.L.D. Shield generator (you read that right; S.H.I.E.L.D. shield generator) that you not only have to protect, BUT also pick up power cells to boot up... this is often easier said than done as A.I. characters will NEVER go for any of the objectives, and only will defend the objective (poorly). A recent update has added an extra hiccup in the form of Hydra jammers, that block Reviving allies, using ultimate powers and blocking power cells from being picked up. All-in-all a lousy update.

Suffice to say, if you play on Normal or Hard; expect to lose... a lot, unless you have a half decent non-A.I. team backing you up.

My final thoughts on Marvel Powers Unite are that it had a lot of potential, but the repetitive game play and steep difficulty as a fight progresses keep this from being a solid and enjoyable experience, if they included a story mode where you and your team followed a path and fought enemies along the way, it would have been significantly better, instead we got a VR wave defense game that offers more of a dress-up simulator sprinkled with a frantic tour of locations from around the Marvel universe as enemies spawn almost non stop and will destroy the objectives very quickly if you don't deal with them ASAP.

Score: 5/10
Sincerely,

Sir Logan Johnson, Esq. XIII.

anything