Author Topic: Marvel's Spider-Man: GOTY Edition.  (Read 43 times)

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
Marvel's Spider-Man: GOTY Edition.
« on: October 09, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
I picked this up two weeks ago, but didnt get around to playing it until last night mainly because it needed a 20gb download and an extra 10-15gb download for the "City that never sleeps" DLC 3-pack.

This will be a first impressions sort of review because it was about 10pm on a weekday and i needed to go to sleep... soon... ish... so i can be fresh for work the next day.

So I started up the game, and the tutorial level had me swinging through NYC at break neck speeds, and it was what i would describe as realistic, the physics and momentum of each swing was fascinating as buildings whipped by me people walking in the streets and cars driving about, amazing.

The combat started up and had me realize its very similar to the Batman free-form combat system, except Spider-Man has webbing that he can use in combat to catapult himself closer to enemies, pull enemies, and even web them up to stop them in their tracks.

One thing i did notice was that Spider-Man is very fragile, punches and kicks dont hurt too much but the second a gun enters the fray you could lose up to half your health before you can say "Web-head".

There are also a few collectibles in the game that can be used to purchase suits that have unique properties, ability upgrades and other goodies to help make Spider-Man a more effective crime fighter.

Spider-Man does have his quirky one-liners in this and you definitely get a feeling that they put a lot of heart and soul in to making this game and making it as true to the source material while also adding their own spin on things.

From the two hours of play that i had, i dies at least 3 times, but mostly due to being too aggressive in combat and not using the healing ability when i clearly needed to, over all, i look forward to slinging around this digital New York when time comes!

Some final thoughts; it did feel a bit like Insomniac's previous entry of Sunset Overdrive in terms of some mechanics being held over, but that is not a bad thing! If you get the chance pick this game up as this will surely give you many hours of enjoyment!
Sincerely,

Sir Logan Johnson, Esq. XIII.

Offline elevator_kart

• V.I.P
  • Extra Life +2/-0
  • You lose You leave
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Spider-Man: GOTY Edition.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »
Good review Logan
I also play the game nearly for 2 or 3 hours
It's good so far 
but wish the combat system having more action hehehe

Offline Tommy Oliver

• The Law
  • Administrator
  • Extra Life +1/-0
  • Green Ranger Squad
    • View Profile
    • Emulation Underground
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 03:43:02 AM »
Combat really opens up once you get more gadgets and power ups but still gotta be careful of taking hits, the game gets really grindy towards the end if you want to unlock all the costumes I unlocked most of them but kinda lost interest around the 3rd story dlc I know I should go back and finish that off but the grind got to me in the end lol

It's actually pretty crazy how many costumes Spider Man has had over the years

Slight spoiler I do wonder if he will end up using any of them in the Next Spider Man movie considering what happened......

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »
Thanks EK, i do my best to give as detailed reviews as possible when i can, but sometimes I dont play enough to get the whole story out, but i do at least try and give a little to wet people's appetites.
Sincerely,

Offline LoganN64

• Berserker Canuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Life +0/-65535
  • Berserker Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
If i'm not mistaken; even the PS1 Spider-Man game had like 20 costumes that you could unlock with either pick-ups, "achievements" or passwords.

I'm sure that we will get to see ALL the Spider-Man costumes in all the movies all the time!

Even though they seem to make new ones for every movie.
Sincerely,

anything